One of our favourite cream soups is potato leek soup. I found this recipe on one of my favourite Romanian cooking sites: https://savoriurbane.com/.
When I say “favourite”, it means that all four of us are eating it with pleasure and not only because we are hungry. The boys, they even have asked for a second helping.
Preparation time: 40 minutes.
What we need:
- three medium leeks;
- four medium potatoes;
- a parsnip root;
- 50 g butter;
- 25 ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil;
- 2 l boiled water;
- 200 ml sour cream;
- salt and pepper.
- chopped greens.
How to do it:
- Wash and clean the leeks carefully, by removing the root ends, the thick dark green parts and all the grit it might hide underneath its layers. Cut them lengthwise and chop them roughly. Add the chopped leeks in a bowl and rub them with salt and pepper. Put them aside.
2. Peel the parsnip, wash it and chop it.
3. Use a pot large enough to hold more than 2 litres of liquid and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the olive oil along with the butter.
4. Add the chopped parsnip in the pot, cover with a lid and cook it for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The smell of the parsnip cooked in butter is simply divine!
5. After the 5 minutes, add the leeks on top of the parsnip and cook it for few more minutes.
6. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, wash them and chop them into cubes.
7. Add the chopped potatoes in the pot, stir, add the water (I added cold water) and bring to a boil. Cook it for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
8. After 20 minutes, add 200 ml of sour cream and boil for a few minutes. I did not have sour cream, so I mixed 150 g of double cream with half of a lemon’s juice.
9. Puree the soup with a blender or another food processor and adjust the seasoning if necessary, with salt and pepper.
10. Serve the potato leek soup with homemade croutons and chopped greens.
How to make the croutons? In brief: on a baking tray put a baking sheet paper, add 4 slices of bread cut into cubes, on top of the bread spread some olive oil and whatever seasoning you prefer (garlic, dill, parsley, pepper, oregano, rosemary etc) and grated mozzarella; add it in a preheated oven at 180 C for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy your meal!
You need to spend less than an hour in the kitchen to cook this delicious dish. Well, less than an hour if you don’t have toddler twins and a puppy. All of them taking turns in needing the toilet or being thirsty. And spilling the water on their clothes and then wanted to be changed only by mummy. Then hating the clothes you chose for them to wear and asking for other ones. All of it at the same time with the puppy who misses his training pad and, instead, he uses your carpet to empty his bowels. So, yes, one hour, more or less.