This time I nailed it with this homemade elderflower fizzy drink recipe! The start was rough, but it paid off in the end.
I bought a 5l glass jar a few weeks ago especially for this occasion as I knew the season of the elderflowers is coming. So, when the time came, I took the little ones for a walk outside, to pick them together.
Back home, while I was washing, cutting and cleaning the elderflowers, something happened with the jar as “it broke spontaneously” to quote my son, Vlad. I had to buy another one, but we also had to pick other elderflowers one day later.
Elderflowers are the edible florets of the Elder tree.
When picking the elderflowers, be careful to choose the ones with the little flowers fully opened but not wilted. Use them soon after picking.
What we need:
- 15 fresh medium elderflower heads, stalks trimmed;
- 5 unwaxed lemons
- 200 ml honey
- 70 g caster sugar
- 5 l still water
- Sun 🙂
We also need a 5l glass jar.
How to do it:
1. Prepare a 5l glass recipient to add the ingredients.
2. Wash the elderflowers and remove, as much as possible, the insects and other contamination. Also, trim the stalks.
3. Add the honey, the sugar and the juice from two lemons in the jar and stir well. Slice the rest of the lemons and add the slices in the jar.
4. Add the clean elderflowers in the jar without stirring.
5. Add the water and cover with a cloth or simply a plate. Do not close the jar tightly with its lit as we want to let air to get inside the jar.
6. In the next 3-5 days leave the jar to rest in a sunny place like a window. You can stir once a day if you like. Sun will help the elderflowers to ferment.
7. When bubbling, the drink is ready, and you can strain the liquid through a fine sieve or a straining cloth.
This elderflower drink is tangy and refreshing, just perfect for a summer day. Maybe too tangy for our little ones, as they tried a few sips but didn’t finish their glasses. We’ll try again with an elderflower cordial instead. But we, the grownups, love it!
You can store this drink in the fridge for up to a few weeks and drink it on its own, without adding any other liquids. Or you can simply add some sparkling water and, voila, your fizzy drink is ready!